Sunday 17 April 2011

Spirit Of The West, Indeed!

Day 3 of the Fest and it’s Sunday Funday! I headed up the mountain and found sun, powder and a mixed bag of visibility. All in all the conditions were great, and as I skied out the sweet sounds of music rose up from the village to meet my ears. Riding out to the stage with the sun beaming down and Brother Twang rocking out was enough to make me smile. And things just got better. My gal pals met me in front of the stage bringing delicious offerings of beef jerky (gotta love promo girls!). We enjoyed said jerky while watching our long time friends Brother Twang wail. These guys are right in the heart of Whistler’s music scene, and rightfully so. They are a talented bunch of the nicest guys you’ll ever meet, and we’ve watched them come into their own over the years and do Whistler proud!

TWSSF would not be complete without a session on the Longhorn patio. We enjoyed a bucket of Coronas (thanks Kat!) while listening to the inspired Delhi 2 Dublin. This was a first time for me, and wow, was it ever impressive! An amazing mash-up of world music– I loved the blend of Celtic, dub-reggae, electronica and Bhangra, and it looked like everyone else did as well, as they drew quite the crowd.

Another Corona and you’ll have to excuse me... at this time I’m not at my best. Next to hit the stage are Spirit of the West, a Whistler favourite. How could they not be? They sing of vacations, bars, drinking and debauchery – all things much beloved here in Whistler, especially during Telus. More smiles abound as a little girl joins the band onstage for a jig. And soon it spreads to the crowd and everyone gets their jig on!

Ending an epic après with another win from the Canucks and I’m spent! We don’t call it Sunday Funday for nothin’.

No comments:

Post a Comment